Sufferers of indoor allergies can find that these symptoms often worsen during the Autumn and Winter months. With the change in the weather, if you are allergic to pollen you may experience a relief of your symptoms during this time. However for many people these cold months mean that they find that their indoor allergies get worse as they spend more time indoors, keep their windows closed and stick on the heating which can circulate dust that has gathered over summer. 1
What are common indoor allergies?
These tiny bugs flourish in mattresses and bedding. When their droppings and remains become airborne, they can cause allergy symptoms.
Thrives in damp, humid areas such as basements and bathrooms. When mould spores get into the air, they can trigger allergy symptoms.
Most people are not allergic to animal fur, but rather to a protein found in the pet dander, saliva, and urine.
Allergy symptoms caused by dust, pollen, or mould include:
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Itchy eyes and nose
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
How can you be sure that you are suffering from an allergy and not from a cold or flu?
A cold usually does not last longer than 10 days, where allergies can linger for weeks or even months. Also colds and flus sometimes have other symptoms such as a fever or aches and pains which often you won’t experience with an allergy. When in doubt consult your doctor who can carry out tests to detect which allergy you may have.
Steps you can take to minimise indoor allergic reactions
- Wash bedding at 60 degrees once a week to reduce the dust mite load in the bedding.
- Encase pillows and mattresses in impermeable covers to reduce exposure to dust mites.
- Avoid down pillows and duvets, which form a nice habitat for dust mites and can be an allergenic.
- Clean regularly, and use a damp mop for cleaning hardwood floors to avoid stirring up dust.
- Dehumidifiers can help to reduce dust mite exposure and ease dust mite allergy symptoms. Dust mites thrive in warm humid environments and their populations explode. Ensure you keep your humidity levels to below 50 per cent with a dehumidifier to ensure dust mites do not thrive.
Helpful products that can help with your dust mite allergy:
Bio-Life Home Cleanse is especially recommended for the bedding of those who suffer from dust mite allergies. It can be used to treat mattresses, sofas and soft furnishings to denature and neutralise dust mite allergens and pet residue.
- Immediately wipe down wet surfaces, especially in the bathrooms and kitchen, to keep mould from growing.
- Good insulation can help cut down on mould by reducing condensation on cold surfaces.
- Throw out shower curtains, wallpaper, and carpeting that have mould.
- Wash showers and sinks with a solution containing 5% bleach and a little detergent.
- To help control mould, use a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in your home below 50%.
An ideal solution in rooms where damp and mould is a problem, or in the winter months when condensation can build up on windows.
Clean with the power of steam. Ideal for eliminating bacteria, mould spores, dust mites and allergens.
If you find that you are allergic to pet dander there are a few steps to prevent an allergic reaction.
- Minimize contact with pets, and keep them strictly out of the bedrooms to reduce the amount of allergen in the room.
- Bathe your pets weekly, if possible, to wash away dander and other allergens from their fur.
- Change your clothes, bathe and wash your hair after playing with your pet and before going to bed.
- Wash your hands and face frequently. Keep floors swept, and carpets vacuumed.
Here are some helpful products that can ease your symptoms:
Petal Cleanse Cat is a surfactant based solution that removes the allergens and dander from the coats of small animals that cause allergic reactions in humans. It has been independently tested in the UK and throughout Europe, and has been found to be safe, effective and easy to use.
Petal Cleanse Dog is a surfactant based solution that removes the allergens and dander from the coats of small animals that cause allergic reactions in humans. It has been independently tested in the UK and throughout Europe, and has been found to be safe, effective and easy to use.
All Bio-Life products have been awarded Allergy UK’s Allergy Friendly Product Award.