When do I need to seek medical advice about allergies?

When do I need to seek medical advice about allergies?

Allergy UK has stated that 1 in 4 people will suffer from allergies at some point in their life. It is always recommended that you inform your GP if you suspect you have an allergy.

Some allergic reactions are worse than others. If you find yourself short of breath, wheezing or unable to breathe, you must seek urgent medical assistance.

What if it’s not an emergency?

You also may want to see your GP for further advice if you find that your allergy symptoms are affecting your life, even if you don’t think it is an emergency. For example, if you can’t sleep or concentrate and over the counter medication does not help, then your GP may be able to offer alternative advice or medication.

Another reason you may want to seek medical advice is if you’ve been experiencing symptoms such as a blocked nose or itchy/watery eyes that have lasted for three months or more, and over the counter mediation is not helping.

How will my GP help my allergy?

Your GP will be able to help to discover your triggers. It may be that you’re not aware that you’re allergic to your cat, for example. Your GP should also be able to test, diagnose and prescribe medication that will help to control your symptoms.

Can I treat my symptoms myself?

Some allergy symptoms can be treated with simple, over the counter medication. The symptoms of hay fever, for example, can often be lessened with over the counter medication such as anti-histamines.

You can also take steps to reduce the symptoms of mild allergies, if you know what is causing it. If you think your allergy might be due to dust mites, for instance, you can help to reduce the allergens in your home.

For more information and advice about allergies and other sleep issues, visit the SlumberSlumber sleep clinic.

Pin It on Pinterest