Bed bugs have the ability to feed on you without waking you. This is because they inject a numbing agent into your body which prevents you from feeling their bite.
Symptoms of bed bug bites vary from person to person. As a result, not everyone will react from a bed bug bite, whereas others will suffer from itchy red bumps one to nine days after being bitten. Bed bug bites are most often found on the face, neck, hand, or arm. If there is a bed bug infestation, people often become increasingly sensitive to their bites. If you are being repeatedly bitten, then the itchy welts may appear in seconds.
Unlike lice and the mites that cause scabies, bed bugs do not live on humans. Instead, they come out of hiding and feed on human blood for four to twelve minutes.
Bed bug bites can often be confused for mosquito bites. However, mosquito bites are usually random in pattern while, in contrast, bed bug bites frequently occur in straight lines.
How Do You Know You Have Bed Bugs?
- Do you have an unexplained skin rash or itchy bump?
- Are there any black spots on your mattress? This could be their dried faeces.
- Can you see mottled shells that bed bugs could have shed?
- Eggs and eggshells, which are tiny (about 1mm).
- Have you noticed red spots on your bedding where you may have squashed a bug?
- Can you see any live bed bugs?
- Is there an unpleasant, musty odour from the bugs’ scent glands?
How Do You Check For Bed Bugs?
Follow our step by step guide for checking for bed bugs.
The first sign of bed bugs may be itchy, red bites on the skin, usually on the arms or ankles. Due to this, most people don’t know that they have been bitten until the next day, when they notice one or more of the following:
- Several welts, often appearing in a line that zigzags
- Welts that itch intensely
- Specks of blood on the bedding
The bites may not itch right away, as it can take time for your body to develop a reaction to the bites. Therefore, some people develop itchy welts within a few days of the first bites, but it can take as long as fourteen days before the bites itch.
Take a look at our products for bed bugs that really work.